A lot of my friends have sent their kids back to college. They’ve been away from home for about a month now. Luckily, I have two more years before I have to think about that, I can tell you right now that I won’t do well when that time comes. I get teary eyed when I hear the graduation song now. My daughter turned 16 tonight and I’m already having trouble with this milestone. In honor of all my friends going through this time in their lives, I thought it would be great to show ideas for college care packages.
What do college kids love more than a day off from school???? CARE PACKAGES!!!! I loved receiving any kind of mail when I was in college. When you had a slip of paper in your box indicating that you had a package, it was like you had hit the lottery. Everyone on campus was always jealous of the person walking back to their dorm with the huge care package.
Today I’m going to help you with some great ideas for a fall care package for your college student or someone who just needs a little pick me up. All of these things you can easily gather or make yourself. You know your child better than anyone so you would know what they would like in their package. The items are universal to most kids.
1. Money-I didn’t have this in the picture, but one of the best things to send college students is quarters. They need tons of quarters to do their laundry. I can guarantee this gift will go over well with any student still in a dorm.
2. Food- Send your child the foods they love and maybe even something for their roommate. Homemade items are always a winner if you have time to make them and package them properly. You can’t forget Ramen Noodles. That is a college must have because it is cheap and easy to make. A win-win for college students. You can see in this package, I sent lots of fall treats like Peeps, Oreos, and Brownie Pumpkins. Your child doesn’t have the luxury of just going to the pantry and grabbing a snack anymore. If you send the things they are missing, I’m sure they will be very happy.
3. Non food items- For girls you could send magazines, SD cards, make up remover wipes, razors, nail polish, etc… For guys you could send magazines, razors, socks, deodorant, etc…..
4. Theme Items- Your care package could have a certain theme or seasonal motif. Those are a lot easier to find items to prepare for the box.
5. School colors- Kids like to wear their school colors or tee shirts sporting their college’s name or mascot. This is a great gift to get them.
I hope this list helped give you some inspiration for your own care package. The holidays are coming up and you could also send a care package to someone in the military. They have specific things they need and also things that you can’t send them (depending on the place you’re mailing it to). Please make sure you google a list of items depending on where you’re sending the package before you put their box together. My daughter’s cheer team did this one year as our community project and it was very rewarding. Good luck with your package and please let me know if you have any good ideas that could help me with my future packages.